WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Monday, October 3, 2011

October 3


Notice the expressions ‘I will give you rest’ and ‘ye shall find rest’ in Matthew 11:28-29.  This rest cannot be earned, bought, or attained.  It is simply given by God and found by us.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, God is Enough, 9/22

Is there anything we work for in God’s economy? The more I understand God’s grace the more I realize how much I work for everything I have. Is it that I like work so much or is it the sense of control that I like?  What I’m seeing is I’ve been like the person who has spent the day picking beans in the field only to come home to a bushel basket full on her front porch.  And how often have I tired myself out trying to earn this rest Jesus has said He’s already given me.  It’s there waiting for me to just find it.  I’m getting a picture of life as an adventure rather than a journey.  When I go on a trip there’s lots of work involved before I leave.  Even the trip itself can be work if we have a time schedule to meet.  Once we’re at our destination we may have to work our way through crowds. Work, work, work!  On the other hand, to me an adventure means I head out the door with no reservations--no time table to meet.  It’s having knowledge of where I want to go and what there is to do once I get there, but being open to how and when I get there.  Life does require some planning, of course.  But if we see life as an adventure, that planning won’t be work.  It will be preparation.  Perhaps that’s the work that God does expect--preparing ourselves to receive all that He has to give us by keeping our eyes on and our hearts open to Him.

“Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”  Matthew 11:28

No comments:

Post a Comment