WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Monday, October 17, 2011

October 17


“We must give up all care of our own by an absolute surrender to His keeping and by an implicit trust of our needs day by day.  If this is done and steadfastly persisted in, the peace of God will keep as in a garrison our hearts and minds.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, God is Enough, 10/1

Hannah likens it to a child holding his mother’s hand.  It’s not his holding her hand, but her holding his hand that keeps him safe.  She used this illustration to help us see what kind of religion we have.  We are very good at “devising” our own gods for our purposes.  This keeps us in charge and therefore feels as though it’s up to us to hold God’s Hand.  Initially, we do need to put our hand in God’s Hand, but we’re not doing the “holding”.  God is.  In fact, once we put our hand in God’s, He is the One who keeps it there.  Even in those times that we feel as though we’ve taken our hand out of God’s Hand, He is still holding on to us.  This is how we fool ourselves into thinking we are back in control.  We may not feel as though our hand is in God’s, but that’s because it’s become numb.  If we would just look, we would see it’s still there.  I had a spinal block for the cesarean birth of my third child.  It was very strange not to be able to feel my body below my arms.  It was there--I could see it--but it did not feel as though it belonged to me--even when I was able to see my abdomen cut open in the reflection in the overhead light.  I even saw my child lifted out, but it did not feel as though he’d come from my body.  Our feelings cannot be trusted to always tell us the truth.

“Now to him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you without blemish before the presence of his glory with rejoicing.”  Jude 24

1 comment:

  1. I walk with love nlong the way, and oh it is a holy day" I love that hymn and to walk with the consciousness of God holding my hand is what I need this minute. Thank you , Cathy for your inspiraton. ---Merri

    ReplyDelete