WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Friday, July 8, 2011

July 8


“It has been said that we never really love anyone until we can do without them for their good.  Measured by this test, how few there are who really love.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, God is Enough, 7/8

At first I did not understand how “doing without someone” could be for their own good until I thought about my children.  In doing so I thought about how my own mother got hysterical when I told her I wanted to move out.  Even though I was going to leave home in six months to get married I felt I needed to be on my own.  I couldn’t understand her reaction especially since I’d be gone in a few months anyway.  Being the obedient daughter that I was I stayed.  Now that I have grown sons I need to remind myself of this episode so that I don’t make the same mistake.  It’s such a fine line between loving selfishly and loving someone for their good.  Encouraging my boys to step out on their own even if it means I will no longer have their company is genuinely loving them.  To encourage them to follow God’s leading in their careers even though it means their living across the country or even across the world is genuinely loving them.  I think any relationship we have needs to be examined.  Are we demanding too much of that person’s attention?  Everyone needs room to explore and to grow outside of their immediate environment.

“Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not arrogant or rude.  Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right.  Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.”  1 Corinthians 13:4-7

No comments:

Post a Comment