WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

July 20


“All doubts are a ‘speaking against God’.  A great many of my readers will start at this and exclaim, ‘Oh, no, that is a mistake.  Doubts often arise from humility.....It is not that we doubt Him, but we doubt ourselves.’”  Hannah Whitall Smith, God is Enough, 7/20

I’ve been guilty of declaring this very thing--claiming that I believed God but doubted myself!  In Eugenia Price’s devotional for today she says the door to our self-made prisons have been open all the time--waiting for us to leave on our own accord.  Jesus declares Himself to be the door.  We have no excuse.  However, if we believe ourselves to be the obstacle that prevents us from leaving our prisons and call it humility, we’ll never leave!  Let us give up our doubts, claim our freedom, and believe God.  The way to do this is to let love have it’s way with us.  By that I mean we must accept God’s love for us--both the sweet and the tough, knowing that everything that happens to us is toward that end.  Then we must not hoard it.  We must give it away before it spoils us.  It’s this living stream of God’s love that flows through our hearts that makes us alive to Him and to others, filling us up and spilling out. 

“Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened, and the ears of the deaf unstopped; then shall the lame man leap like a hart, and the tongue of the dumb sing for joy.  For waters shall break forth in the wilderness, and streams in the desert;”  Isaiah 35:5, 6

No comments:

Post a Comment