WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Friday, July 1, 2011

July 1


“Our freedom in Christ is not freedom to do what we want.  It is freedom to live righteously, something we could not do when we were in bondage to sin.”  H. Blackaby, Experiencing God Day-by-Day, 7/1

Blackaby talks about being a slave of righteousness and not a slave of sin.  It made me realize that we must be a slave to something---that is our nature.  I don’t know a person in the world who isn’t a slave in some way.  Even those people who might insist they will not bow down to anyone or anything will be a slave to their appetites--whether physical or mental.  Our ego is perhaps our worst master for it continually gets us into trouble!  Now that I think about it I would say that the “New Age Movement” is man’s attempt to no longer be a slave to anything.  It’s man’s desire to be his own master--to be divine in his own right.  Unfortunately, these dear people will find out the hard way that there is a God who is our Creator and who demands justice.  But He is also a loving Father who has not only provided a way for us to no longer be slaves of sin, but who also enables us to be slaves of righteousness. 

“Righteousness and justice are the foundation of thy throne; steadfast love and faithfulness go before thee.  Blessed are the people who know the festal shout, who walk, O LORD, in the light of thy countenance, who exult in thy name all the day, and extol thy righteousness.”  Psalm 89:14-16


No comments:

Post a Comment