WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Thursday, July 21, 2011

July 21


“The ‘anger of God’ is only another name for the inevitable results of our own bad actions.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, Daily Secrets, 7/21

Hannah says God’s anger is not an arbitrary condition of God’s mind but the necessary result of our breaking His laws.  She likens it to the inevitable indigestion that comes from unhealthy eating.  If people understood this, I think they’d quit blaming God altogether for the things that happen to us.  It makes me think of the parenting book I read when my boys were little.  It stressed the need for natural consequences to their misbehavior so that they could eventually discipline themselves.  If I were always setting up contrived consequences they would become dependent on my being there to police them all the time.  If they learned that their behavior caused their unpleasant consequences they’d be more likely to adjust their behavior in the future.  Unfortunately, this did not work for my strong-willed child.  And just like my strong-willed child I too am finding myself to be so strong-willed that I continue to stay in my prison while the door is flung wide open.  I’m beginning to conclude that the only way out is to be carried out!  So while I can be glad that I know God won’t leave me there, I am very sad about the fact that I just might waste the rest of my life in a prison.  Lord, it is my heart’s desire to walk out of that prison on my own accord.

“For with God nothing will be impossible.”  Luke 1: 37

No comments:

Post a Comment