WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

July 6


“Why is it that some Christians seem to go so much deeper in their walk with God than others?....Why has God chosen to anoint the words of some so that, when they speak or pray or preach, it is obvious that their words are consecrated by God?  It is because these individuals have committed themselves to pursue God until His presence is powerfully real in their lives....and He has honored their desire.”  H. Blackaby, Experiencing God Day-by-Day, 7/6

As I read this I found myself asking God why....why have I not experienced this “anointing of my words”.  I’ve pursued God diligently for years!  I’ve even had other people comment they’ve never known anyone pursue God as I have.  I’ve been faithful in my daily devotionals rising early in the morning, have served in the churches I’ve attended not only in servant capacities but also in leadership positions, and have even read the whole Bible through. Now I’m writing this daily devotional.  But in that instant when I poured out my heart to God I immediately received His answer:  “You have pursued the results of a relationship with Me---not the relationship itself.”  I stood convicted.  This is what so many of us do in our human relationships, too.  We have this “idea” in our heads of what the relationship should be and we pursue that when in reality it’s the relationship itself we must pursue.  It’s the day in and day out “good with the bad”.  It’s the tough times and the easy times--the lovely times and the not so lovely times.  With God, though, we can depend on it always working out for good.
 
“...you have no need that any one should teach you; as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie, just as it has taught you, abide in him.” 1 John 2:27b

No comments:

Post a Comment