WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Saturday, July 9, 2011

July 9


“This is a far more vital point than might appear at first, for wrong views of the love of God lie, I am convinced, at the root of most of our spiritual difficulties.  We take the worst elements in our own characters...as the key to interpret God, instead of taking our best elements of love....as the key.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, God is Enough, 7/9

Hannah is saying that we measure God’s love for us by how much love we have for Him, and if it’s small, then we’ll never experience how great a love God has for us.  This got me to thinking about my view of God in general.  Are there other ways I “limit” God?  Do I bring Him down to my level?  The first thing I realized is every time I am fearful I am in a sense handcuffing God.  I remember the time my kitten got its mouth caught on the scrollwork of a metal chair leg.  It was terrified and therefore fought every effort I was making to free it.  Thankfully, I kept my cool and was able to hold her little body with one hand while I opened her mouth to release her grip on the ironwork with the other.  And thankfully, God keeps His cool while He helps us untangle ourselves from the predicaments we get ourselves into.  I realize now my God is a great God.  He does according to what I believe about Him.  If I think He is small, then He can only do small things for me for I will only humble myself a little.  The bigger my God, the more humbled I will be, and the more grace He can give.

“But may all who seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee; may those who love thy salvation say continually, ‘Great is the LORD!’  As for me, I am poor and needy; but the Lord takes thought for me.”  Psalm 40:16, 17a

No comments:

Post a Comment