WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Thursday, December 29, 2011

December 29


“Jesus said that a man who takes the words of God and builds them into his life is like a wise man who builds his house on a rock.....There are no shortcuts to spiritual maturity.  Maturity comes only through hard work and obedience to what God says.  The next time you hear Jesus speaking, begin immediately to firmly build His truth into your life, so that no storm can unsettle you.”  H. Blackaby, Experiencing God Day-by-Day, 12/16

My parents weren’t available to me when I was a child because they were so caught up in their own problems.  I felt as though I raised myself.  Consequently, when the storms came into my life I discovered my house was built on sand and not rock.  It’s only been since I began reading my Bible and listening to others preach on the scriptures that I’ve begun to laboriously build my house on the Rock--Jesus Christ.  As my foundation He is providing me the stability that I never had as a child.  He also teaches me things I need to know and holds my hand while I’m learning them.  Wisdom can only come from actually living what we’ve learned because until you experience it you really don’t know if you’ve learned it or not.  It’s in either living out the truth or learning from the mistakes that we gain the wisdom that enables us to weather the most fiercest of storms.

“I love thee, O LORD, my strength.  The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.  I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies.”  Psalm 18:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment