WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

December 28


“Jesus walked so intimately with His Father that He was always aware of what the Father was doing around him (John 5:19, 20).  Jesus said that if our eyes are pure, they will see God and recognize His activity (Matthew 6:22).  If we are not seeing God’s activity, the problem is not a lack of revelation.  The problem is that our sin prevents us from noticing it.”  H. Blackaby, Experiencing God Day-by-Day, 12/13

We never have to ask God to reveal His will to us.  He is constantly revealing it to us, but as Blackaby points out we are just not seeing it.  I know in my own life I have been amazed time and again how God provides in advance of when I need something.  But you know, it just might be that I’d been needing it all along but hadn’t yet noticed it.  Those times in particular that seem like miracles are from God’s point of view quite ordinary.  The miracle is that we showed up and were aware of His activity.  This should make us stop and contemplate a little bit more about our place in this universe.  I think we either overrate it or underrate it.  We either think it’s all about us, or we figure we’re so insignificant that God hardly notices us.  To see things from God’s point of view would open our eyes and shine His light right into them, down into our very soul.  It is there that He is revealed to us.  It is there we will find His will.

“But, as it is written, ‘What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man conceived, what God has prepared for those who love him’ God has revealed to us through the Spirit.  For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God.  For what person knows a man’s thoughts except the spirit of the man which is in him?  So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.” 1 Corinthians 2:9-11

No comments:

Post a Comment