WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Friday, December 9, 2011

December 9


“Blessings come as a result of obedience.  When you walk closely with the Lord, blessings will come, regardless of whether you seek them.  Blessings from your obedience will also come to those around you--to your children and to your grandchildren.”  H. Blackaby, Experiencing God Day-by-Day, 11/20

I’ve been thinking more about this idea that life here on earth is just the rehearsal for the real thing--Heaven.  My youngest son is part of the Tech Crew for the upcoming high school play and has been at a lot of rehearsals.  This is the week of the play so they’ve been there every night.  He was supposed to be done at 10:00, but it was 11:00 by the time he came out to the car.  Fortunately, he’d called to say they were running late and not to come until 10:20, so I didn’t have to wait outside in the cold car the whole hour.  I asked why they ran so late.  He said they got started late because the actors were dallying beforehand.  This is what happens in our “life rehearsal” as well.  We will often have to pay the consequences of others’ behavior because not everyone plays their part according to God’s plan.  But God will bless us for our obedience no matter what.  While I waited patiently, I turned on the Christian radio station and was blessed by the music and the message I heard.  I saw another parent go in and “drag out” his daughter before they were done.  I was glad I didn’t feel I needed to do the same.  The young girl, I’m sure, was not happy about leaving the rest of the cast in the lurch.

“Blessed are the humble [poor in spirit], for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”  Matthew 5:3

No comments:

Post a Comment