WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Sunday, December 25, 2011

December 25


“There is no sinful habit or past hurt that is beyond the healing touch of our Lord.  Have you gone year after year without receiving spiritual healing?   God is capable of freeing you, but you may have become comfortable in your sin.  You may not want to be healed.  If you really want to receive spiritual health, God can give it today.  He wants you to ask Him.”  H. Blackaby, Experiencing God Day-by-Day, 12/3

Why do we become comfortable with our sins?  One author I’ve read suggests the original sin was actually laziness.  Because Adam and Eve were too lazy to go to God to ask Him about what Satan had said, they did what they felt like doing.  When their sin caught up with them, their pride is what tried to cover it up.  Perhaps some would argue that it is our pride that causes us to be lazy and that very well may be so for us.  But for Adam and Eve, who had not yet sinned, it makes sense to me that their laziness led them to commit that first sin.  Whatever the truth might be, we mustn’t let ourselves be deceived into thinking our laziness now is part of the human nature like the need for sleep.  We really must see it as sin.  I’m not talking about being too tired to do something--but even then, perhaps it was sin that caused us to become tired.  When I speak of laziness I’m speaking of shirking responsibilities.  Even in our tiredness we don’t have to be irresponsible.  It is my responsibility to get up every morning and place my life into God’s Hands seeking His direction and help.  This takes work.

“But according to his promise we wait for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.  Therefore, beloved, since you wait for these, be zealous to be found by him without spot or blemish, and at peace.  2 Peter 3:13, 14

No comments:

Post a Comment