WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Friday, December 30, 2011

December 30


“You may not realize it, but your life has the potential to bless everyone you encounter.  Are others strengthened and encouraged in their faith because of their relationship with you?”  H. Blackaby, Experiencing God Day-by-Day, 12/17

There is just one prayer we could pray each day that would encompass all prayers:  Lord, make me a blessing today.  In that one prayer we are acknowledging that God is our Lord and we want to serve Him.  We are giving Him permission to do what He needs to do in order that we will be a blessing.  We are asking for the necessary resources whether it be talent, time, or money.  We are acknowledging our need to come before God each new day.  We are also declaring God’s glory in that He is able to make us a blessing by all that He knows and does.  In addition, we are making ourselves aware of those around us.  When we have an encounter with another person or when a thought drops into our minds of someone’s needs, whether within our circle or out in the world, we will be ready.  Most of the time I suspect we have our minds on ourselves and don’t notice what is happening around us.  By praying, “Make me a blessing,” we are relinquishing our self-serving attitude and taking up God’s agenda.  And you know, I am confident that God will bring someone across my path when He wants to use me to bless them and in the process I shall be blessed, too!

“Therefore you also must be ready; for the Son of man is coming at an hour you do not expect.  Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom his master has set over his household, to give them their food at the proper time?  Blessed is that servant whom his master when he comes will find so doing.”  Matthew 24:44-46

No comments:

Post a Comment