WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Sunday, December 4, 2011

December 4


“Christ has undertaken His duties, knowing perfectly well what the responsibilities are.  He knows that He is dealing with very silly sheep who have no strength to protect themselves, no wisdom to guide themselves, and nothing to recommend them but their utter helplessness and weakness...There is only one thing that can hinder the Good Shepherd:  refusal of the sheep to trust Him and let Him care for them”  Hannah Whitall Smith, God is Enough, 11/11

Up until now I've only been aware of the tip of the iceberg.  Now God is showing me what is under the water--this in itself has been overwhelming.  Earlier this morning my phone call to a friend was an opportunity to "let love happen" and in doing so I was brought back above the surface.  This may be the only way we are able to deal with that hidden mountain of ego below the surface--it can't be chipped away by going under with an ax.  When we attempt to deal with ego that way we are trying to fight the enemy with the same means it is using to gain victory. This leaves us vulnerable to falling back into our old ways of the flesh. Instead we need to deal with it by remaining on the surface and expressing genuine love.  The surrounding water is warmed by this love and the hidden part of the iceberg begins to melt away.  This is the power of genuine love, which can only come from God through Christ. 

“The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want; he makes me lie down in green pastures.  He leads me beside still waters; he restores my soul.  He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.  Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff; they comfort me.  Psalm 23:1-4  

No comments:

Post a Comment