WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Friday, September 2, 2011

September 2


“When our faith puts on this armor of God, and always takes hold of the sword of the Spirit, and we confront our enemy with a shout of undaunted faith, we cannot fail to conquer the mightiest giant or to take the strongest city.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, Daily Secrets, 9/1

The sword of the Spirit is God’s Word--all His promises and declarations.  It’s interesting to me that God uses analogies through His Word that men can readily understand--like weapons.  Jesus was the master of parables.  Today in our society I believe God uses films in a large way to communicate with us.  Every good film I’ve seen has held some message for me.  Even within nature--which has always been with us--God has been speaking to us in parables--stories that hold a message for us.  Whether it’s the butterfly that starts off as a lowly worm or the kernel of grain that must fall to the ground before it can spring up as a new plant full of life-giving purpose, God is communicating with us.  His desire to be in a relationship is so continual we should all feel greatly loved just on that basis!  But He went even further in that He provides all our needs, including the payment for our ingratitude.  His love is so constant, so pervasive that only those who refuse Him are lost.  Even within this devotional God is speaking to me.  He is telling me that when I do not forgive those who desire to be forgiven I am not only refusing their love I’m also refusing His love, for one of the many ways He loves us is through the love of others.

“Above all hold unfailing your love for one another, since love covers a multitude of sins.”  1 Peter 4:8

No comments:

Post a Comment