WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Friday, September 16, 2011

September 16


“Before, I might be able to say at any given moment, ‘I am the Lord’s now, altogether and unreservedly.’  But my will always took comfort in the thought of a future, when perhaps I would not be entirely His; secretly and almost unconsciously, I made a future provision for the flesh, to fulfill the desires thereof.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, God is Enough, 9/13

Hannah wrote the above in her diary in 1868 when she was 36 years old, ten years after giving her life to Christ. I think many of us are still waiting for this revelation of how our wills secretly take comfort in knowing it can take control back.  This is why we give it up so freely at times.  But if we look carefully I’m sure that those times were only when it was convenient or to our advantage in some way.  The cleverer we are the more adept we are at giving up our wills in a way that looks “godly”.  God warns us that our hearts are capable of even deceiving ourselves!  Hannah finally dealt with this sin in her life by seeing the future as belonging to God.  She does not go on to explain, but I can because I know what she’s talking about because I, too, continually make future provisions for the flesh.  I understand now that when I worry I am making this future provision for the flesh.  When I worry I am not seeing my future as belonging to God.  Lord, when I am tempted to “make provisions for my future” I will take comfort instead in the fact that my future belongs to You just as much as right now does.

“And do not seek what you are to eat and what you are to drink, nor be of anxious mind.  For all the nations of the world seek these things; and your Father knows that you need them.  Instead, seek his kingdom, and these things shall be yours as well.”   Luke 12:29-31

No comments:

Post a Comment