WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Sunday, September 25, 2011

September 25


“One absolutely necessary characteristic of a tool is its pliableness.  The moment resistance is felt in any tool, the moment it refuses to move just as the master wants, that moment it becomes unfit for use.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, God is Enough, 9/17

Hannah says if she were writing with a fine gold pen and it began to move with difficulty she’d gladly switch to an old lead pencil.  Because I feel more like an old lead pencil than a fine gold pen I found this very encouraging.  Years ago I set to music a poem I’d found in a newsletter that told about an earthen vessel lying along side the road that the Master used to water His parched lilies.  The vessel was lying close to His feet, but even more important was that it was empty.  This was the only requirement necessary for it to be useful so that He could fill it with His living water.  That “author unknown” poem had a profound effect on me then.  It moved me so greatly that I stepped outside my comfort zone and asked to sing it at an area women’s retreat I attended.  Now, after all these years, I look back and realize I was singing about something I had not yet experienced.  I was in a very useful phase of my life, not only within my family, but also in the church.  This usefulness, however, was in my own strength.  I am only beginning to understand what it means to lie contentedly at the Master’s feet--empty of self--waiting until He is ready to use me. 

“If anyone purifies himself from what is ignoble, then he will be a vessel for noble use, consecrated and useful to the master of the house, ready for any good work.  So shun youthful passions and aim at righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call upon the Lord from a pure heart.”  2 Timothy 2:21, 22

No comments:

Post a Comment