WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Saturday, September 10, 2011

September 10


“At times God will graciously provide you a mountaintop experience.  These times come in many settings:  during your time alone with Him....by reading a Christian book, or at a prayer meeting.  You may wish you could spend the rest of your life basking in the glow of your encounter with God.  But, remember, these mountaintop encounters are God’s way of preparing you for the battles that await you.”  H. Blackaby, Experiencing God Day-by-Day, 9/7

I’m beginning to see my mountaintop experiences as a place that God leads me to and then asks me to jump off.  Each time I find myself up there I experience a strange phenomenon that happens to me when I find myself in high places.  I have no fear of heights, per se, but if I’m on a bridge or a high balcony and am holding something like my purse or a camera, I have the urge to toss what I’m holding over the side!  When God leads me up His mountain I experience this same sensation.  I want to toss my fears, my anger, my whatever over the side.  But that’s not what He wants.  He wants ME to toss myself over the side--all of me--not just the things I’m holding onto--and He will catch me in His Everlasting Arms.  Perhaps that’s why I find myself up there so often and why when I come back down I do so in defeat--there seems to be no victory awaiting me because I’ve come down the same way I went up--on my own two feet.  God has said the victory has been won; yet I continue to experience failure.  I realize now that’s because I’ve been in the wrong battle.  I’ve been fighting for the wrong cause.  I need to join God’s army and then obey His command to jump.

“The eternal God is your dwelling place, and underneath are the everlasting arms.  And he thrust out the enemy before you, and said, Destroy.”  Deuteronomy 33:27

No comments:

Post a Comment