WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Thursday, September 8, 2011

September 8


“We easily assume a sense of ownership of our possessions, as if they were things we earned ourselves, thereby giving us a right to them.  Jesus reminds us to be prepared to give our possessions as freely and joyfully as we received them.”  H. Blackaby, Experiencing God Day-by-Day, 9/5

I still struggle with this, but when I was younger I was thoroughly entrenched in this way of thinking.  I’m sure it had everything to do with having a work environment I did not like.  I felt I earned every penny I made.  To freely give my money to a “needy” person was not even a thought for me.  I believed that if people needed money they should work like I did.  They’d have to prove to me they were not able to earn their own money in some way.  After all, the paper was always full of help-wanted ads.  As I’ve grown older I still believe that, but now I understand that my giving has nothing to do with the other person.   It has everything to do with me--am I capable of giving freely? Until I understand that all I have comes from God, I’m never going to fully appreciate God’s grace towards me.  I’m going to feel as though I’ve earned it in some way, which only serves to keep my ego engaged.  And as long as my ego has any control over me, I am not fully God’s.

“And Jesus said, ‘You shall not kill, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’  The young man said to him, ‘All these I have observed; what do I still lack?’  Jesus said to him, ‘If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.’  When the young man heard this he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.”  Matthew 19:18b-22

No comments:

Post a Comment