WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11


“Don’t become frustrated with others if they are not as excited about a truth from God as you are.  Don’t be impatient with them if they are not implementing God’s Word in their lives exactly as you are.  God will personalize His word to you.  He will relate to each of your friends in a way that specifically meets their needs as well.”  H. Blackaby, Experiencing God Day-by-Day, 9/8

This has never entered my mind before--truths that the Holy Spirit illumines for me may not be for others.  I’ve always figured if it’s truth, then it’s for everyone.  I have, however, had the vague feeling from time to time that some people are just not ready to handle the truth.  I think this is Blackaby’s point.  Because God knows us thoroughly His timing is impeccable.  To insist that someone accept a truth before they are ready to receive it may do more damage than good.  That is why Jesus spoke in parables.  He did not want someone to take a truth and use it for the wrong purpose.  Unfortunately, this is exactly what we are doing if we try to force truth we’ve received onto someone else who has not received it.  This applies to salvation as well.  The need to be saved is the ultimate truth and people need to hear about it, but it is not up to us to force it on people.  God will prepare their hearts to receive it when the time is right.  He just needs us to get the information out.  If we are living out the truths with which God has entrusted us, we will set an example that will help bring people to their need for that truth and thereby be ready to receive it when God opens their hearts to it.

“Buy truth, and do not sell it; buy wisdom, instruction, and understanding.”  Proverbs 23:23

No comments:

Post a Comment