WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Friday, September 9, 2011

September 9


“Don’t ever judge God’s love based on your circumstances.  Instead, evaluate your circumstances from the perspective of God’s love.”  H. Blackaby, Experiencing God Day-by-Day, 9/6

This is putting your faith in action.  It takes faith out of the realm of platitudes and puts it into a way of living.  How could we ever get discouraged in the midst of any circumstance if we looked at the circumstance from the perspective of God’s love for us?  Our discouragement, then, must be directly related to our perceived “need” to be in control.  We have our lives planned out and then things get changed, and we don’t like that very much.  It’s the me, me, me way of life.  I discovered this in a big way when I gave birth to my last child and things didn’t go the way I wanted them to.  It was through that experience I had the belief shaken out of me that God’s love was based on my circumstances.  Since then, however, I’ve still had to battle this wrong way of looking at God’s love because the circumstances that lead me into this sin have come upon me in less dramatic ways.  I hardly notice that I’ve slipped into discouragement until I’m there and have become consumed by the resulting depression.  How much better it would be for me to keep the belief continually before me that God’s love and my circumstances are linked by the outcome both produce together in my life.  In accepting God’s love--including His “tough” love--I will grow in my faith, which in turn keeps me in God’s presence.

“Count it all joy, my brethren, when you meet various trials, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.  And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.”  James 1:2-4

1 comment:

  1. I surely love God's tough love too.. even though I might not like it.. I love what it shows me.. that if I am persistent and truly his.. I can find joy in the eventual fact that I did it with HIM. and HIM only. That is a crush to the human ego for sure.. heee hee.. but it is Truth... and it is the only way to endure , yes. Not easy all the time for sure, and I slipp too into discouragement.. but really it does not get me anywhere. I am learning that for sure... Like having no heat in forty degrees... and no one really caring about it.. and if I pray about patience that is good, but taking action and asking in God's authority helps so much to allow HIM to come through and bingo the heat is on.. people might not like it.. but God does.. His way.. His time.. and the naysayers melt away in his warm love. Merri

    ReplyDelete