WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Monday, March 14, 2011

March 14


"Always remember the best description of fear is "False Evidence Appearing Real."  Sarah Ban Breathnach, Simple Abundance, 3/14

I’ve been sitting here with today’s quote and finding myself unable to say it any better than Sarah has. So I will address why false evidence can appear real to us.  The key word is “evidence”.  The criteria we use to decide whether or not something is evidence, then, would be what we should look at to get a better understanding of how we judge what is real and what is not.  So much goes into those criteria:  what we were taught as children, whether it was intentional or just a by-product of neglect.  To that we then add our life experience up to the present and not only how we reacted to it, but also how others reacted to our life experiences.  Now it’s really getting complicated.  How do we even begin to sort out what is real and what is not?!  This, all by itself, should state God’s case for laying aside our wills for His.  By accepting the Christ life as our own, God’s criteria will be what we base our evidence on.  And from there everything that isn’t real will show itself for what it is--a lie.  In this we can rest and find peace.

“Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.”  Hebrews 11:1

No comments:

Post a Comment