WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

March 2



“Any time we are fully present in the moment we are meditating.”  Sarah Ban Breathnach, Simple Abundance, 3/2

Sarah writes, “There are compelling physiological, psychological, and spiritual reasons why we should engage in regular meditation.  It is the mortar that holds mind, body, and Spirit together.”  Meditation is “intentional concentration on one thing.”  By intentionally concentrating on what is happening at this very moment I will be fully present.  Therefore, “to live every day” is really an attempt to be fully present in every moment of my life.  When my last child was born I thought if I just stared at him enough I could somehow slow down the present and he wouldn’t grow up as fast as his brothers had.  But his babyhood went by just as fast.  Instead, I need to give my full attention to what is happening at any given moment.  I mustn’t mourn its ending before it’s even over, wish it away, or be thinking about the next thing.  What I should be doing is enjoying it.  And if it’s not something pleasant, I should be focusing on what God has for me in it.  In other words, if I will concentrate on God, my Father, Savior, and Shepherd, and all that means, I can be fully present in all the moments of life--whether enjoyable or uncomfortable.  My life will make sense to me and therefore have a purpose.  I can look back over the days, months, and years and see where God has taken me and know that where I’m going is in His Hands.  What I am seeing is that to be fully present means to be fully accepting of whatever my life is at this moment.  This is a good place to start.

“My soul is feasted as with marrow and fat, and my mouth praises thee with joyful lips, when I think of thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the watches of the night; for thou hast been my help, and in the shadow of thy wings I sing for joy.  My soul clings to thee; thy right hand upholds me.”  Psalm 63:5-8

 

No comments:

Post a Comment