WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Friday, March 25, 2011

March 25


“In the divine order, God’s working depends on our cooperation.  During His earthly ministry, Jesus could do no mighty works in at least one city because of the people’s unbelief.  It was not that He would not, but that He could not.  We often think that God will not, when in reality He cannot because of our unbelief.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, God is Enough, 3/25

I think people don’t like to hear that God cannot do something while at the same time they question why He did not stop some bad thing from happening.  He is all-powerful and all-knowing, isn’t He?  We don’t want God to interfere with our plans, yet we blame Him when things don’t go the way we want them to.  I look back over my years and think about all my different ideas of God and how He had to shake me to the core to get me to let go of my man-made opinions.  Then I was sifted and the result is a pure, unadulterated belief that God is Love.  With that at my core I can now see the way in which God works and just why I must die to Self.  Now I don’t mind doing that.  In fact, I relish the thought of being freed of Self because now I can live His life instead--a life of faith free of anxiety. So I am surprised when I find my message of Freedom in Christ is met with resistance, even hostility.  But then the Lord reminds me of my former state, and I am kept from self-righteousness and instead filled with compassion.  Is this what it means to love your enemy?

“For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, live as enemies of the cross of Christ.  Their end is destruction, their god is the belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things.”  Philippians 3:18, 19

1 comment:

  1. There will always be those that are hostile regarding our faith. I think you are correct in pointing out that we need to show compassion for those that try to take offense about our beliefs. Perhaps by doing so it would send a message that we still love them. Sometimes, our "self" gets in the way though. I know I struggle with wanting to feel anger or resentful for those that try to hurt me emotionally. My prayer is that GOD will give me the strength to react like Jesus would.

    ReplyDelete