WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

March 23


“Who can know the depth and intensity of the heart of God?....If you will remain alert in prayer, Jesus will share his heart with you.”  H. Blackaby, Experiencing God Day-by-Day, 3/23

I think because we dwell so much on the fact that God came to earth as the man Jesus in order to take on our sin, we neglect to realize He is also the God who came to earth to allow us to see Him face to face for the first time.  Before then man could not look upon God without being blinded or struck dead.  His great love for us is not only shown in His dying on the cross for our sin, but in the fact that He wants us to understand Him so that we can love Him back--not just fear Him.  I used to be turned off by the people who seemed all mushy about Jesus.  I felt they focused too much on Jesus the man and not enough on God our heavenly Father.  I felt this was a form of idol worship.  But now I believe God “allows” this, if our hearts are truly given to Him.  Very few people can love the ethereal.  Throughout history only those we came to call Mystics could do this.  The rest of mankind needs the flesh and blood of Jesus in order to lay hold of God.  In doing so, He can share what is in His heart and we will be His emissaries of loving care.

“Beloved, we are God’s children now; it does not yet appear what we shall be, but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.”  1 John 3:2

No comments:

Post a Comment