WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

August 2


“Every plant has its own laws of life and can only flourish in certain localities and under certain soil and climate conditions.  On a higher plane this is equally true of the spiritual life.  Outward localities and climate make no difference here, although Christians often think they do.  We find ourselves in uncongenial surroundings and are tempted to think our spiritual life cannot flourish in such an environment.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, God is Enough, 8/2

Boy, is she right!  Some of my “uncongenial surroundings” have been cantankerous individuals, uncooperative groups, and high humidity!  Even a “bad hair day” can upset my peace.  I can find excuses far too easily for why my behavior isn’t very Christ-like.  It’s becoming clear to me that I need to see my spiritual life as being above the physical plane.  It is not dependent on earthly things and should not be subjected to physical laws.  If it’s hot and humid, my body will perspire and feel uncomfortable, but that does not mean my spiritual self has to suffer along with my body.  My spiritual self is dependent on a different set of laws.  It can rise above the discomfort and experience the joy it was meant to experience in all circumstances.  In fact, down through the ages the Church has grown deeper in the Lord in times of persecution than in times of freedom.  All too often we equate freedom to tell others about Christ with growth of the Church. It may grow in numbers, but a large number are weeds.

“The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a man who sowed good seed in his field; but while men were sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away.”  Matthew 13:24, 25 

No comments:

Post a Comment