WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

August 31


“You may be broken now because something in life has passed you by.  If so, let your ‘ointment of spikenard very precious” be spilled on Jesus as a love-offering.”  Eugenia Price, S.P.S., 8/28

Eugenia is talking about the woman who washed Jesus’ feet with her tears and dried them with her hair.  In order to do this she had to break the alabaster box.  This is the brokenness that allows the ointment to come forth.  But in order for our tears to become a love offering we have to get up close to Jesus.  This is the only way our suffering can be used by God.  I see the woman’s tears as something she “couldn’t help” while using her hair to dry his feet was an act of service on her part.  What is even more amazing to me was it came quite naturally.  It wasn’t something she had planned out.  She never could have foreseen the need to dry his feet because she had not planned her tears.  The tears were the response to her brokenness.  This is a good picture for me.  God is showing me that most of my energy has been used up in my attempt to discern if it's the right thing to do or not!  Instead, it is my willingness to be broken that God uses as He sees fit, and once He does, my acts of service come quite naturally.  There is no mental burden in doing something that is obvious, if God is in it.  I see another lesson in this story that parallels my life. I’ve been cutting my hair shorter and shorter over these hot and humid summer months--and now I have no “hair” with which to dry Jesus’ feet.   Not only must we be willing to be broken for Jesus, we must not “cut off” the resources God has given us to serve Him.

“Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”  Matthew 5:3

No comments:

Post a Comment