WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Sunday, August 21, 2011

August 21


“...I read the last two chapters on pouring out everything to God as a love-offering.  Suddenly I saw that when I do this, I can accept anything.  It is no longer in my hands, but in His.”  Eugenia Price, S.P.S., 8/22

Some people let things roll off them, but not me.  Everything, whether good or bad, seems to find a place to reside within me. I hold onto things.  You’d think I grew up in the Depression the way I “save” everything.  So this idea of pouring things out as a love offering is something I need.  A love offering is always given voluntarily and pouring it out puts the picture in my mind of emptying out the container.  This is exactly what Eugenia is talking about.  The only way I can accept the things that come into my life is to give them back to God.  Even the good things need to be given back to God.  Otherwise, I am in danger of taking credit for them or feel I deserve them in some way.  Then if I lose them I feel deprived or mistreated.  But she is talking about the difficult things--the things I don’t want to accept in the first place.  I can expend a lot of energy trying to keep these things out of my hands, but it doesn’t work that way.  I have to accept it as mine before it’s mine to give to God.  Taking ownership allows it to be my love offering.

“And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, ‘Drink of it, all of you; for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.”  Matthew 26:27, 28

No comments:

Post a Comment