WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Monday, August 1, 2011

August 1


“Sanctification is not a state so much as a walk, and every moment of that walk we need the Spirit’s power and the Spirit’s presence as much as we did at first.  Not even after living in the land of promise for many years, are we strong enough to do without His indwelling.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, God is Enough, 8/1

I don’t think I’ve fully understood this.  Somewhere in the back of my mind has lain the belief that I would “arrive” one day at my destination of “resting in God” as though the journey itself was of little consequence.  How I got there wasn’t as important as the fact that I had arrived.  But that’s not the case I now see.  My arrival is guaranteed by Christ.  Instead, the emphasis now is on the journey itself.  Am I trusting Christ for everything?  Am I  grateful for every thing--great and small--that He provides?  Am I sharing His resources?  Am I cheerful despite any hardships?  All these things become my sanctification.  It is good that Hannah has reminded me that I will never outgrow my need for God.  This is what keeps me humble.

“I will all the more gladly boast of my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.”  2 Corinthians 12:9b

No comments:

Post a Comment