WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

August 9


“If love sees those it loves going wrong, it must, because of this very love, do what it can to save them; and the love that fails to do this is only selfishness.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, Daily Secrets, 8/9

Hannah is explaining why “bad” things happen to Christians.  God will allow difficult situations in our life if that is what it takes for us to come to only trusting in Him instead of the things of the world.  This is something any parent should be able to understand.  I know.  The times I’ve given in to my children when I know I should have made them accountable have been the times that I wanted their approval.  What I taught them was how to manipulate me.  I fool myself by making excuses for their behavior, but I know that it’s really a selfish motive on my part when I do that.  I may even want them to appear innocent so that I will look good.  Thankfully, God is not this way.  He does hold us accountable and eventually some of us will mature because of it and then be able to treat others the way He treats us.  Everything we do for others will be motivated by a pure love--a love that comes directly from God--the kind of love that changes people.

“But when we are judged by the Lord, we are chastened so that we may not be condemned along with the world.”  1 Corinthians 11:32

No comments:

Post a Comment