WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Thursday, August 18, 2011

August 18


“God wants us to trust Him daily with our needs.  This trust does not make us poor planners or careless with our futures, unprepared to face what may come.  Rather, it keeps our relationship with the Lord in its proper perspective as He reminds us daily of our dependence upon Him.”  H. Blackaby, Experiencing God Day-by-Day, 8/18

This is why we’re to pray for our daily bread. Christ is also known as the Bread of Life and the Living Water. This morning I was reading Jeremiah 1:13:  “For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me, the fountain of living waters and hewed out cisterns for themselves, broken cisterns that hold no water.”  I have not forsaken the Lord, but I have hewed out my own cisterns in an attempt to “collect” this Living Water.  This scripture in Jeremiah has shown me that just like the Israelites could not collect more than a day’s worth of manna, I cannot store up Living Water.  It is these cisterns that are getting in the way of my needs being met by God--they cannot hold Living Water.  It was at this point God showed me that my cisterns represented my attempts to control His life in me and the only way I’m to ever experience Him as Living Water and Daily Bread is to give up this attempt at control and take the attitude of what will be will be.  But this is not a giving up as in defeat.  This is my Victory!

“For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that overcomes the world, our faith.”  1 John 5:4 

No comments:

Post a Comment