WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

August 23


“If I recognize myself as a sinner, how can I not be discouraged?  To this I answer that the Holy Spirit does not convict us of sin in order to discourage us, but to encourage us.  His work is to show us our sin, not that we may lie down in despair under its power, but that we may get rid of it.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, Daily Secrets, 8/23

Hannah likens it to a good mother who points out the faults of her children so that they can correct them.  Today, according to my children, this is lecturing and somewhere along the way lecturing came to be a bad thing.  This I do not understand because I’ve always wanted to correct my faults before anyone else noticed them!  Perhaps this is what my children are telling me--they don’t like for their faults to be noticed.  I could agree with this if I felt they were planning to do something about these faults, but they don’t give me this impression.  Instead, it seems they just don’t like their faults being brought to THEIR attention.  But, if I’m to be honest, I must admit I’m guilty of the same thing when it comes to God.  How often do I end up suffering consequences of my faulty thinking or actions before I finally make the connection?  God has pointed out all my faults to me in His word if I would just read it with that in mind.  If instead of saying to myself, “Boy, I’m glad I’m not like THAT sinner,” I were to ask God to show me my sins, I’m sure more of my faults would be uncovered.  Then rather than become discouraged, I should be encouraged because God has promised me all the help I need.

“In the world you have tribulation but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”  John 16:33b

No comments:

Post a Comment