WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Monday, August 29, 2011

August 29


“As you respond to God’s invitations, don’t be caught by surprise when adversaries try to thwart what you are doing.  If you concentrate on your opponents, you will be sidetracked from God’s activity.”  H. Blackaby, Experiencing God Day-by-Day, 8/28

We could easily read this and think of some great “project” God has called us to.  It would be fairly easy to enter into the task with our eyes wide open, on the lookout for any opposition lying in wait to sidetrack us.  But what about the little day-to-day things that are taken for granted like “love your neighbor” especially when your closest neighbor is someone right in your household.  It is often very easy to make excuses to ourselves why we can’t love the people closest to us.  Is this not the greatest activity God has given us?  I think back to when my children were very young and often “thwarted” my attempts to be a “good mother”.  I’m ashamed to say I did not respond in love.  I was often angry.  In my mind being a good mother meant making sure my children cooperated so that I could do my job of teaching them all the things they needed to learn while running an efficient household.  I feel the greatest thing I can teach them now is that love isn't something you earn.  God has shown this kind of love for me by laying down His life for me when I didn't deserve it.  He is continually showing me grace despite the fact I continue to fall short daily in loving Him.  If I would wake up to this, I know I wouldn’t get sidetracked from God’s greatest activity--sharing His love.

“See what love the Father has given us, that we should be called children of God;” 1 John 3:1a

No comments:

Post a Comment