WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Thursday, August 4, 2011

August 4


There is no greater suffering than the suffering from fear.”  Eugenia Price, S.P.S., 8/4

Fear is that which grips our minds right down into the core of our hearts and keeps us distracted from our lives.  It will present itself by sleeplessness, anxious thoughts, nervousness, anger, impatience, and a number of other physical and mental symptoms.  Eugenia cannot reconcile fear and faith and therefore concludes that fear is unbelief.  I have to agree with her.  We may try to excuse it by saying we are weak or our circumstances are too overwhelming, but in doing so we are putting limits on God that do not exist.  We are saying we do not believe our God is powerful enough or loving enough to take care of us.  So why do we continue to excuse it?  I don’t want to suffer from fear.  Or do I?  It’s apparent that Self gets some kind of a charge out of being fearful.  For one thing it is wrenching God’s control over our lives out of His Hands.  We are saying to God we want to take care of things now.  It’s only when we fail miserably and come crawling back to Him are we willing to humble ourselves before Him.  And He always takes us back.  Father, I apologize for not trusting You and rejoice in the great love you have for me.  Thank you for forgiving me and welcoming me back Home.

“I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you; I am no longer worthy to be called your son; treat me as one of your hired servants.’” And he arose and came to his father.  But while he was yet at a distance, his father saw him and had compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him.”  Luke 15:18-20

No comments:

Post a Comment