WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Saturday, August 6, 2011

August 6


“They never see that fullness, for they never look at it.  They cry out, ‘O Lord, reveal yourself’; but, instead of looking at God, they look at themselves, and keep their gaze steadily fixed on their own feelings, and then wonder at the ‘mysterious dealings’ of God in hiding His face from them.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, Daily Secrets, 8/6

I’m always looking for what I call natural, logical ways to understand things so that I can convince myself to do things in a different way.  If I don’t do that, I find it very difficult to change if the old way is still “working” for me.  Hannah has given me another aspect of why I need to quit looking at myself.  As long as I keep looking at myself--my mistakes, my successes, my whatever, I’m not going to be looking at God.  If I’m not looking at God, then I’m going to miss what I need to see in order to follow God.  Yes, God may intervene in such a way that I can’t help but see Him.  Those times only come in crises it seems.  I want to see God in all the moments of my life.  There I will experience the peace and the wonder of being in His presence.  It will make all things sweeter---even the good things, but especially the difficult things.  Bittersweet is a word I find myself using often.  I think it’s a good word because it acknowledges that we can find the sweetness in the bitter if we are looking at God.

“How sweet are thy words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!”  Psalm 119:103

No comments:

Post a Comment