WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Monday, January 10, 2011

January 10

“The comfortable reflection, that a watchful Providence regulates every event, and that nothing happens to us but for wise and good ends, greatly tends to alleviate every earthly care, and prevent that anxiety which would otherwise be the portion of mortals.”  Margaret Woods, 1774 , D.Q. 1/10
It occurred to me that I wouldn’t WANT to be a Christian if I couldn’t believe that God was in control of everything that happens.  The demands on me would be far more than I could bear.  Not only would I have to expend huge amounts of energy to ensure that my environment was as perfect as possible, I’d have to make sure the rest of the world was doing everything right as well.  On top of all that I’d have to act like Christ--to love everybody no matter what.  Whew!  I envisioned a horse pushing a wagon---not at all what it’s designed to do.  What it means to be a Christian, then, if I believe that a watchful God regulates every event, is this:  I am the horse, God is the driver holding the reins, and the wagon is my life. God holds the reins as He calls out commands, giving the horse it’s directions to turn left, turn right, move forward at a certain pace, or stop.  I, the horse, provide the energy (the muscle) to pull the wagon, my life, along the path that God has laid out for me.   But how well I traverse that path depends on my responsiveness to the holder of the reins.  Will I go the way in which He directs, or will I resist?  He knows every obstacle that lies ahead in my path, every challenge, the condition of the path’s surface, what’s around that next bend.  I gladly listen and obey.

“But this command I gave them, ‘Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and you shall be my people; and walk in all the way that I command you, that it may be well with you.’” Jeremiah 7:23

1 comment: