WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

January 19

I could never, in the wildest reaches of even my writer’s imagination, conceive of Jesus Christ bringing fears down upon someone.”  Eugenia Price, S.P.S., 1/19

This was Eugenia’s response as a new Christian to Isaiah 66:4:  “I also will choose their delusions, and will bring their fears upon them; because when I called, none did answer; when I spake, they did not hear:  but they did evil before mine eyes, and chose that in which I delighted not.”  But then the Lord opened up her mind to understand that He had designed our minds to function this way.  If we choose to do evil the consequence will be fears and delusions.  This makes such perfect sense to me that I do not understand why I didn’t see this for myself long ago.  Bill Gillham has helped me to understand the ways in which the power of sin controls my thoughts if I do not believe I am a sanctified, and therefore a holy creature.  The sin that I do commit is the direct result of the power of sin to cloud this issue for me.  What some believers do not seem to realize, and I was one of these, is that sin is separation from God.  Once we are reconciled with God through Jesus Christ, our missteps are merely that--we’ve stepped out of God’s will for us.  The Holy Spirit’s role is to immediately convict us of this.  Our role is to obey--and we have the ability to do so because of the Holy Spirit in us.  If we do not obey, it is a blatant attempt to wrest control of our lives from God’s Hands--rebellion--and this is sin.  This our loving Father will immediately begin to address by pruning our unruly branches!  My heart breaks when I think of those times in my own life--not the times that I rebelled and God pruned, but the times I miss-stepped and then condemned myself.  Because I condemned myself I did not seek God’s help--I struck out on my own to try and tidy things up before I went to Him little understanding I was headed down the rebellion path.  When I couldn’t fix myself like I had hoped, God had to bring out His pruning shears to lop off those rebellious shoots and to prune the unwieldy branches so that my growth would once again come from the trunk of the vine.

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser.  Every branch of mine that bears no fruit, he takes away, and very branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit.”  John 15:1, 2

2 comments:

  1. I can relate so much to your message today. Asking forgiveness on a daily basis is so very important in our Christian walk with our Lord Jesus Christ. I consider myself a Christian, but know that I am weak & make mistakes. Without GOD I am nothing. My prayer today is to strengthen my resolve and expand my knowledge in the Word of GOD. Amen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our salvation is based on forgiveness. You are very correct in placing great importance on forgiveness. We are to forgive others as He forgives us.

      Delete