WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

January 25

“Let’s just acknowledge that as far as real life is concerned we are only one step away from dealing with dysfunction.  So what are we going to do about it?  We can stop waiting for life to become perfect and start working with what we’ve got to make it as satisfying as we can.  We can accept, bless, give thanks, and get going.”  Sarah Ban Breathnach, SA, 1/25

Amen, Sister!  The only thing I can say after such a rousing speech is to look at myself in the mirror and own up to the fact that I’ve been my own worst enemy.....waiting for life to become perfect.....So, where do I come off thinking that life CAN be perfect AND that I should HAVE a perfect life?  This is the power of Sin for sure.  Sin (Satan) also wanted to have the perfect life--to be equal to God.  Yikes!  When I say it that way I can’t even lift my eyes to look into that mirror!  I don’t have to evaluate my life very hard to discover just how good I have it.  It’s not perfect, but then perfect is not attainable.  Why waste my energy and especially what time I have left striving for perfect?  I think I will just go for experience.   And if I make my experience with God my number one priority I can be sure that all the other experiences will be worth my time and my energy.  It’s a win/win scenario. Yes, I think I will post a little sign on my mirror as a reminder that I should “accept, bless, give thanks, and get going!”

“I am afraid that as the serpent deceived Eve by his cunning, your thoughts will be led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ.”  2 Corinthians 11:3

No comments:

Post a Comment