WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Sunday, January 23, 2011

January 23

“Over the years I have discovered that much of my struggle to be content despite outside circumstances has arisen when I stubbornly resisted what was actually happening in my life at the present moment.....What happens when we accept our circumstances?  Well, first of all, we relax.  Next we change our vibration, our energy pattern, and the rate of our heartbeat.”  Sarah Ban Breathnach, SA, 1/23

Sarah also tells how she arrives at acceptance.  It comes when she realizes the circumstance is what it is meant to be right now.  In acknowledging that she is enabled to say “All right, You lead, I’ll follow” and “Everything is going to turn out all right.”  Perhaps this was the missing ingredient as I applied my “step aside” plan.  Yesterday when I first put this plan into practice I noticed an immediate mood shift for the better.  But the next time and each time afterward I noticed it became harder to step aside.  What this is telling me about myself is that in stepping aside so that the Holy Spirit could express Himself through me I was hoping He’d make the outcome to my liking.  No wonder I resisted stepping aside the next time.  I really must get it out of my head that things have to be rosy at all times.  Some times things have to get mucked up a bit before they can get cleaned up.  Life is messy.  The sooner I accept that the sooner everything is going to turn out all right.

“We know that in everything God works for good with those who love him, who are called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28

No comments:

Post a Comment