WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Sunday, May 22, 2011

May 22


“....see what amazing characteristics are available to you when you begin to partake of this life of God within you.  It is not imitation.  It is realization.....We must let Him be Himself under all circumstances.  Even when it causes us great inconvenience.”  Eugenia Price, S.P.S., 5/22

What it comes down to is obeying the prompting of the Holy Spirit.  It’s that little voice we often hear momentarily telling us to do something for someone else, but to which we quickly have an answer like, “But I’m so tired (busy, need help myself, ....fill in the blank_______) right now and someone else will probably help them.”  Or it may be that little voice that’s telling us not to be in such a hurry, not to eat another piece of cake, or not to say that biting remark.  My excuse is usually that I don’t know if it’s the Holy Spirit or just my Self harassing me.  

I don’t think God is trying to make it that hard for us to obey Him.  That is why our obedience begins and ends with trusting God for everything.  If we are truly in that humble place and love Him with our whole hearts, minds, bodies, and souls we will know what to do and what not to do.  It will not be an effort to figure it out.  Our downfall is that we try to act like Christ because we think that’s easier than doing the real thing.   But if our hearts aren’t right with God, that’s all it will be--an act.  To do the real thing is to have no rehearsal.  To do the real thing is to love Him and let Him be Himself in us.

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control;” Galatians 5:22, 23a

No comments:

Post a Comment