WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Monday, May 16, 2011

May 16


“When Jesus told His disciples to love their enemies, was He being realistic?.....Do you treat commands like [this] as implausible?...When God gives an assignment, it is no longer an impossibility, but rather it is an absolute certainty.”  H. Blackaby, Experiencing God Day-by-Day, 5/16

This is a whole new way for me to think, but I must be catching on because the other day I told a friend that God gives me my needs.  And if that’s the case, then He’s planning to meet them.  What I’ve come to realize is that God is All.  Everything originates with Him.  The question I’m hearing someone ask is, “Are you saying that evil originates with God?”  God is love so it doesn’t fit at all to make such a blanket statement.  But the essence of the whole matter is that the absence of God, Who is Love, is evil.  So, if you look at it that way even evil is the result of God’s love.  It’s the same with dark and light.  You can’t have more dark.  Dark is merely the absence of light.  Light doesn’t actually cause dark, but if it’s not there, then it is in a sense causing darkness.  So I must apply this same kind of thinking to God’s commands.  He’s not going to make a request of me that I’m not capable of fulfilling.  So why do I get so bent out of shape when I feel I’m being asked to do something I don’t think I can do?  It’s obvious I’m looking at my own strength and capabilities.  I must never stop trusting God to be Who He says He is.

“But who am I [David], and what is my people, that we should be able thus to offer willingly?  For all things comes from thee, and of thy own have we given thee.”  1 Chronicles 19:14

No comments:

Post a Comment