WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Thursday, May 26, 2011

May 26

“Incredibly, Jesus said that we have the opportunity to be even greater in the kingdom of heaven than John the Baptist...  We must remember that service to God is the greatest privilege we can receive in life...We have the opportunity to allow Jesus to carry out His work through our lives, so that greater things are done through us than were ever accomplished through John the Baptist.”  H. Blackaby, Experiencing God Day-by-Day, 5/26

I love to be useful.  If I see something that needs to be done I always step in to do it, unless I feel it’s not my place to do so.  Just as there are times when you shouldn’t wash a friend’s dirty dishes that have been left in their sink, there are times when you do wash them without having to be asked.  I think it’s the same way in God’s Kingdom.  Most of us want to be useful, but we also like to dictate when, where, and how.  In addition, we lack the discernment of whether or not we’re overstepping our position.  We may do things for God that He does not want done!  We think we are loving someone by helping them, but God might be working patience or trust into their lives.  We must be careful not to interfere in God’s plans for that person.  Other times, however, we are lazy and uninterested in what God is doing around us and we miss one opportunity after another to be useful.  Lord, may we instead be open to Your leading and see serving You as a privilege.

“If any one serve me, he must follow me; and where I am, there shall my servant be also; if any one serve me, the Father will honor him.” John 12:26

No comments:

Post a Comment