WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Friday, May 13, 2011

May 13


“Their interest in self is gone, transferred into the hands of God.  Christ alone is their all in all.  The blessed result is that not even Solomon in all his glory was arrayed as these will be.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, God is Enough, 5/13

Hannah is talking about the person who is not concerned about his spiritual growth, but only that he abides in Christ.  This is one of those subtle ways in which Self used to keep me engaged.  Not realizing the difference I got it turned around and felt driven to focus on my spiritual growth in order that I may abide in Christ.  All this served to do is encourage me to hone my judging skills that I then freely practiced on others as well.  The problem with judging yourself is that it either leads you into pride or into self-punishment, neither of which have anything to do with spiritual growth.  It’s like digging a hole for a plant and then setting the plant on top of the ground next to the hole.  You expend a lot of energy and your plant dies, and you are left wondering why all that effort produced no results.  So as my gardening season begins I will remind myself that I am the garden and God is the Gardener.  My job is to lay myself bare before Him and let Him do the planting and the tending.  I am to abide in His loving care and receive the fertilizer and the cultivating that freshens and nourishes my soil so that when He puts in my seed, I will grow and bear much fruit.

“But those that were sown upon the good soil are the ones who hear the word and accept it and bear fruit, thirtyfold and sixtyfold and a hundredfold.”  Mark 4:20

1 comment:

  1. God, our gardener, as you so well know from your beautiful space out there in your yard---- places us in heaven -- we just plant the seeds-- and watch them blossom.. I love the image !!! Will endeavor to stay conscious of it this day! Merri

    ReplyDelete