WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Sunday, May 15, 2011

May 15


“But we must look at and think about the Lord, and ask ourselves, not, ‘How do I feel about this?’ but, ‘How does the Lord feel?’ not, ‘How shall I manage it?’ but, ‘How will he manage it?’”  Hannah Whitall Smith, Daily Secrets, 5/15

This morning I was acknowledging to God and myself some ill feelings I have toward another person.  I knew my feelings were wrong, but to love this person despite my feelings wasn’t going to take care of my heart, which felt like it had a dead spot in it.  Yes, I could be obedient and show this person love, but as for what to do with the hard feelings that still remained I felt clueless.  It was then I realized that I loved this person for the wrong reason.  As long as I loved this person for their sake, my bad feelings, which might very well be justified, would remain.  But if I loved them for God’s sake.....well, I have no reason to feel bad about anything.  My feelings toward this person no longer mattered.  They were merely there to begin with to protect me from being hurt by that person because without the bad feelings I would expect something in return, which I probably wouldn’t get!  But to love this person for God’s sake is an entirely different matter.  Any love I give on God’s behalf is going to be “safe” to give because there are no strings attached--nothing to snap back in my face--no expectations--no disappointments.  I think this is what Hannah is saying...that everything we do, think, or feel must be directed at God, for it is only then that we can count on it bearing fruit.

“...and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.”  Mark 12:30

No comments:

Post a Comment