WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

May 3


“Those therefore, who know Him as their Father, know the whole secret.  They are their Father’s heirs and may now enter into possession of all that is necessary for their present needs.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, God is Enough, 5/3

This is a few days after I read the above and I can’t remember now why I chose this to write about.  I know that whenever a secret is involved I’m all ears, but the topic of God being like a father is still somewhat foreign to me.  My idea of what a father should be and the reality of who earthly fathers often are is so different that I find it hard to grasp the concept of "God as Father" and “possession of all that is necessary for their present needs” being in the same sentence.  But Hannah feels this is the “whole secret”....to know God as my Father.  Perhaps it’s the very exercise of separating my experience in the flesh with earthly fathers in order to know God as Father, is what I need to be dwelling on. God cannot be compared to anything earthly.  Jesus Christ is the closest earthly being we can trust to give us a picture of God, but even then He was only one-third of our triune image of God.  So, if I can take my eyes off earthly fathers and just come to know God as The Father I can begin living like His Child and receive the inheritance He has provided for me.  But even beyond all that, if I live in my Father’s household here on earth I should experience a security I can find no where else--the peace of knowing I will be taken care of no matter what may happen--a love that I do not need to earn--a place where I can grow and become a mature Christian.

“Father of the fatherless and protector of widows is God in his holy habitation.”  Psalm 68:5

No comments:

Post a Comment