WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

May 17


“It is impossible for us to conceive being glad when our hearts are breaking, but God has said it....It is a waste of time to try to reach it.  We can only receive.  The river is there.”  Eugenia Price, S.P.S., 5/17

Eugenia is referring to Psalm 46:4: “There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High.”  I am writing this several days after the date on the page.  I’m wondering if the reason my heart is breaking right now is because I neglected to take the time to write the last two days’ devotionals.  I took my eyes off Jesus for just a moment in my busyness and I got lost.  Now I’m trying to “reach” Jesus again, but Eugenia is reminding me that is a waste of time.  All I can do is receive Him.  The river that flows from His heart to mine is within me already.  I need only to lie down in the green pasture by the still waters and receive.  I know that my heart is breaking because I haven’t done this.  And I know that God has allowed this trouble into my life to show me this.  And what is so blessed about my trouble is that it will cease to be a trouble for me if I will just lie down and receive.

“The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want; he makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside still waters; he restores my soul.  He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.”  Psalm 23:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment